Friday, September 21, 2007

Fofo from Niamey!

Salut everybody,

("Fofo" is a popular greeting here in Zarma, the language that everyone but me speaks:) My fav word thus far is "barka," which means "congrats")

Hello from Niamey! Although I only arrived 6 hours ago, I just had to use an incredible opportunity (free internet in the house where I am staying) to check in right away.

It is 11:45 pm here right now, and it seems to be a balmy 80 degrees outside. Ca va, it's not unbearable, but even the locals were complaining today when we stepped off the plane onto the 100 degrees++ tarmac.

Today was a most excellent day, despite the fact that my luggage did not arrive in Niamey. Oh well, i think it will come in a few days, "inshallah," as the say here (if god wills it). I was greeted at the airport by some nice folks at the airport, and despite my lack of Zarma skills, I was able to remain calm and speak in French to the Air France dude about my luggage. The Embassy folks took me to the house where I am staying for the weekend, and then I got a small tour of the city from a resident expert (the lady I am staying with, who has lived here for quite some time, and yells in a variety of languages to people in the streets that she knows, all the while yelling at her car not to break down, which it eventually did). We visited the nice Boston University study abroad students at there center, and I also met some Peace Corps folks who work with Tuaregs, so it was good to chat with them.

Although it's too soon to really have an opinion, I already like Niamey! The people seem friendly, the streets are widen and red and dusty, the town sits on the Niger river, and there is apparently a great karaoke bar that I hope to go to soon. I can't wait for Sunday when I meet the director of Tin Hinan, the NGO that I am working for.

I hope all is well with all of you, who are scattered around the planet. I am thinking of my dear family and friends at home (and abroad!) and I would love to hear from you whenever you have the chance to drop a line.

Much love,
Maggie

p.s. This will be probably be my one and only post from Niger without typos, b/c pretty soon I will be using those damn French keyboards. Just fyi!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings, Mags,

Barka to you for arriving safely! We are delighted to hear that you are doing so well on your first day there.

Love,

Dad

Jarren and Erin said...

Yeah Maggie! It's so nice that you'll have internet for much of your stay! Here's hoping you don't have bad jet-lag!

Anonymous said...

great to hear you made it well (sans bag unfortunately. hopefully yours arrives sooner than mine has...) Shoot me an email if you can use skype sometime!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you, Mags! I'm really looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months!

ash

Anonymous said...

Your Dad forwarded 2 messages from you, Maggie, and along with this BLOG from you today, I feel like I can almost touch you. Bummer, about your luggage;You always have a great attitude, though!
Are you able to SKYPE? Call or "conference" us, absolutely ANYTIME that works for you, o.k.? With such a hot climate, when do people generally get up, work, eat, socialize?
We're soaking up everything that is happening in your Daily Doings!
Love you,
Grandma Jeannine

NIGER1.COM said...

welcome back to Niger from Niger1.com
http://www.niger1.com/niger.html

Anonymous said...

Hello Maggie! This is great to hear from you 1/2 way across the world. I hope you have your luggage by now. I had a great time in Portland at the concert and hanging downtown with Marsha.
Love you!

Rebecca said...

barka means thank you in moré, one of the languages spoken in burkina faso!
<3 rebecca

Krystyna said...

When I went to Amsterdam, it took three days for my luggage to arrive, and after three long, sweaty days of city wanderings, I vowed never to check luggage again if at all humanly possible to avoid doing so. I hope your stuff arrives soon, though!! salut et gros bisous!!

Anonymous said...

maggie! i'm so, so glad to hear you're in safely. audrey and i have been thinking of you! can't wait for more updates as you settle down. keep me posted--I miss you!

xoxo
molly