Sunday, September 9, 2007

INTRO/ Greetings from Bainbridge Island! (this is not a test)

Hi all,

I returned home yesterday to beautiful Bainbridge Island, Washington to visit my family and friends and to prepare for my upcoming trip to Niger. I am very excited to begin this experience, but I know that it will be hard to be away from the people that I love. But it's okay, I'll be back soon enough:)

I had a fun and interesting summer in Washington, D.C., working for the ENOUGH Project/International Crisis Group (click on the link over on the right of this page) and for the National Democratic Institute. D.C. is a great place to be (in the U.S.) if you are interested in Africa and African policy.

There is lots to be done before I leave for Niger on September 20, and there are SO many things that I know I can't prepare for, but for the moment I am happy to just be relaxing at home. My brother Charlie left for Carleton College last week, so unfortunately he is not here to hang out with, but my mom and dad and I call him often to bother him and try to extract information from him about his saucy new "college life."

Feel free to leave comments with ideas on how I could improve my blog! I'm a beginner at this business, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading:)

Love,
Mags

7 comments:

Krystyna said...

awww, maggie!! the DC crew misses you - but our loss is niamey's gain. the CIA factbook stats are interesting: those development rankings are really sobering... i'm looking forward to hearing your perspective on things there.

new in my life: in FINALLY moved into the apartment!!! my quality of life has already improved dramatically. i'm even settled enough to cook again, so i'm having a ball.

can't wait for interesting blog posts in a few weeks... enjoy your week at home!!

Anonymous said...

i was an honorary member of the dc crew for like 3 days, and i missed you too! -tommy

NIGER1.COM said...

Hello Maggie I am from Niger but reside in New York City area
i notice that you linked your blog with my site www.niger1.com/niger.html
what you are planning on doing is very interesting tell me more about you
what organisation are you going to work with ?
email me those answer at niger1.com@Gmail.com
I may stop by in Dc efore the 20 th may be we can meet
niger1.com@gmail.com

Alex said...

Wow, your blog is beautiful. I can't wait to read your stories. Have fun relaxing in the NW... I sure do miss it (even after 4 years of Cali!).

JLeis said...

Hey Maggie!
I tried calling your cell phone tonight but it didn't work. I need to speak with you before you leave (or really, asap) on how you did the DHL documents from Niamey to the US. I talked to DHL tonight and a little part of me died when I heard the cost. SO, email me whenever you get a chance!

I'm so exited for you! Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

Talk to you soon,
Julia

Rachel Eggum Cinader said...

Hey Maggie,
I'm your grandma Jeannine's cousin. I work with the widows of Uganda and am so proud of you for what you are going to be doing for the women of Niger! I put you in my favorites so I can watch you. Thank you for making a difference in this world. you are in my prayers.
Rachel Eggum Cinader

Anonymous said...

Hi, Maggie! Grandpa Charlie and I are just beginning to read your wonderful BLOG, and will be back reading more: we're soaking up everything you write!!
And, now, you are "so up" on SKYPE. That was neat this morning, and new-to-me, that one can type responses back to the caller, when one can't even be seen or heard. FANTASTIC, huh?
We love mangoes, too. AND, you, in those kicky sunglasses. We miss you, and wish you a great time, in your amazing project in Niger.
Love from Grandma Jeannine