Monday, December 31, 2007

More photos finally!

readying the sheep for the street bbq...this was at a friend's house, they sacrificed 3 sheep for the occasion (Tabaskai) and probably gave away the meat from 2 of the sheep as presents for their neighbors and friends




my Fulbright buddy Alice and me chilling on some dunes after a fun picnic outside of Niamey in a dry riverbed




a motley crew gathers for a most excellent Christmas celebration in a teeny village called Rigal Koel (you won't find it on a map) near Zinder




my peace corps friends and me in front of the christmas display on the wall of my friend's "shade hangar," kinda like a millet stock outdoor sitting lounge




decorating our cow (called an amalankey in hausa) for our grand entrance into the village...our driver babaye wore a santa mask and the cow wore a red nose, and me and my 2 friends were the 3 wise men...just like xmas at home, huh? :)




this camel is not as pretty as the ones i saw in the North, but hey, he's still cool...for my cousins Ben and Annie: see how he only has one hump? for some reason here the camels only have one hump, so i like to ride in the backseat so to say, behind the hump and holding onto it, with a skilled driver in the saddle!




homestay mom habsou and me at the Fulbright reception for the other fulber Alice and me




yoowa! my homestay bro Nourri riding a horse in the backyard! check out his cowboy outfit!




Sweet tree eh?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love the pics, mags! happy new year!

Audrey said...

yoowah! nice sheep. did you get the package?

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie,
I work for the BBC and read your article in the IHT before christmas. Would be very interested in having a chat. Would this be possible?
Regards Colin

ben said...

maggie, i love your blog! the photos are so great. hope we can talk soon!
b